Wednesday, January 19, 2011

New Year, New Bed


Nathanael and I have finally finished our bed!  It has been a really fun project and excellent learning experience for both of us.  It gave me the opportunity to learn the function of several basic power tools, and it was exciting to see just how much my husband already knows.  I will admit we made at least 10 trips to the hardware store to find random things like 4 1/2 inch  screws, untreated 4x4 posts, and mattress supports.   I am still amazed at Nathanael's enthusiasm about the project from start to finish, even when we had to drive 45 miles on the coldest evening in December to get the right screws.

What I learned...
1.  Every saw/tool has a very specific purpose (your husband is right about this one)
2.  Double the estimated cost of your first furniture project to be accurate
3. Also double the estimated time it will take to complete the project (Christmas and colds happen)
4. Use steel brackets + a center support to hold the nearly 400 pounds of husband, wife and mattress
5. Complete painting projects in the garage between the months of April and October (in Missouri)

Even though the project wasn't super easy or seamless, I am so pleased with the end result.  Our bed is so sturdy, and I absolutely love the design.  The plans were created by Ana White.  Be sure to check out her blog...it is amazing!  Last, but not least, a fun video of our bed building experience....


2 comments:

  1. Wow!! It is B.E.A.UTIFUL!! I absolutely love it! And I most especially adore the fact that my little B.Ross is sanding like a pro...safety goggles and all. Brings a tear to my eye!!

    Great Job Nathanael!! I am so impressed with your handiness!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Job!!!! Everything is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete