Saturday, January 1, 2011

Recipes from Christmas

I didn't do a lot of cooking this Christmas since we spent the holiday with Nathanael's family in Texas.  I did my best to be helpful in the kitchen, but Nathanael's mom definitely did most of the work.  She is a fantastic cook and planner.  I did take a batch of my favorite cookies and made a salad to accompany our Christmas dinner, so I thought I would share those recipes here.  Sorry I don't have any pictures to go along with the recipes.  Enjoy!

Best Cookies on Earth (from Under the Magnolias, A Tasteful Tour of Athens, GA)

2 sticks of butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped dried cranberries
1 package toffee bits (I use 1/2 package)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cream butter and sugars.  Add egg and vanilla, mixing well.  Blend in flour, oatmeal, chocolate chips, cranberries and toffee bits.  Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes.

I often roll the dough into 36 balls and freeze in packages of 12.  It makes it so easy to bake fresh cookies for guests or just us.  I just thaw the dough in the refrigerator and bake the next day.


Greek Salad Dressing (by Ina Garten)

2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil

Whisk together the garlic, oregano, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl.  Still whisking, slowly add the olive oil to make an emulsion.

I usually serve this dressing over a salad with lettuce, tomato, green bell pepper, red onion, banana pepper, cucumber, and feta cheese.  Whisking the dressing while slowly adding the oil does make all the difference when making a homemade vinaigrette.

No comments:

Post a Comment